Sevanavank monastery is located on Sevan peninsula, in Gegharkunik district. During the 9th century Sevan became the royal citadel of Syuniats princes. In 874 the daughter of King Ashot Bagratuni, Mariam built Arakelots and St. Astvatzatzin (Holy Virgin) churches. There is a chapel on the eastern side of St. Astvatzatzin church, the columns of which are important examples of Armenian wood-carving art and nowadays both of them are preserved in Armenian State History Museum. There are numerous cross-stones in the area of the monastery. During 1956-1957 the churches were reconstructed.