Armenia was under tough political conditions, the manuscripts and the riches of several Armenian monasteries, including Tatev, were hidden in Baghaberd. Baghaberd was the last capital of the Syunik Kingdom before its capture in 1170 by the Seljuk Turks of Ganzar. After the capture all the treasures within the fortress were stolen or destroyed.
The fortress managed to survive only partially, yet from its ruins it becomes clear that the fortress used to have double walls along with their towers. Several of these towers have been preserved in a partially ruined state. Today, only fragments of the fortified walls are preserved and they can be clearly seen from the central square of the village.
It’s interesting to know that the fortress used to have underground tunnels that were used when Baghaberd was under siege. The fortress also had access to fresh water source as it’s believed that the waters of a nearby spring were transferred inside the fortress via clay pipelines.